Thursday, June 21, 2018

Makerspace- Pros and Cons



Image result for pros and cons chart



Previously we discussed what exactly a Makerspace is, but you may still be skeptical about using one in your classroom. Let's look at the advantages (pros) and disadvantages (cons) of creating one for your students to explore.


___________________________________________________________________________

Advantages

  • Allows individuals to use old and new forms of technology to create something new
  • Activities are open-ended and can be left open to the imagination
  • Encourages collaboration
  • Positive environment- it is okay to fail at something because you are able to try again
  • Expose to higher-order thinking and problem solving strategies
  • Hands-on learning
  • Focuses on STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics)



Disadvantages

  • Some resources and tools can be expensive
  • There may not be time set aside in the day to explore a Makerspace
  • Independence in this space may require a lot of modeling and pre-loading with expectations
  • Need supporting staff to encourage a positive outlook on the space/ some resistance to change

_____________________________________________________________________________


Where in the world are Makerspaces?

Because Makerspaces have started off with bringing many positive, collaborative opportunities to the field of education, educators from all over the world have decided to begin implementing them into their classrooms.

Image result for are there makerspaces all over the world?

Although this chart was current as of January 2016, the idea of creating and using a Makerspace in educational environments has increased tremendously over this time span. As educator's become more familiar with this emerging trend, I believe that the numbers would continue to increase in a significant way.
_____________________________________________________________________________

Makerspace? Yes? No?

After conducting research on Makerspaces, I can definitely say that I would truly like to implement a Makerspace in my classroom. Although there are some significant "cons" to a Makerspace (finances and time), I think that the "pros" outweigh them tremendously. I have taught both pre-k and second grade and noticed over the last five years that students become strong learners when they are interested and have the opportunity to solve a problem independently. Completing challenges alone or with a collaborative group allows students to not only grow in a specific educational field, but it gives them the opportunity to build their confidence and self-esteem too. I also feel as though the expose to STEM activities can promote a positive environment in subject areas that students can sometimes dislike. So yes, if I was able, I would incorporate a Makerspace in my classroom for my students to explore.

Because I think that the financial aspect would be my biggest hurdle, I would begin with items/ resources that are already in my classroom or that I could obtain for free or cheap. These items would be things like: 


Beginning with these tools would help my students develop a strong understanding of what the Makerspace expectations are and how to appropriately use the materials. As funding increases over time (district funding, donors choose, etc), additional resources can be added to my classroom Makerspace. The resource that I would love to have eventually would be a 3D printer; these are amazing! I think students can learn so much from using programs specifically for a 3D printer, like Tinkercad, and can grow tremendously with developing a solution to a challenge in which a 3D printer is required. 

____________________________________________________________________________

I want a classroom Makerspace... Do you?
____________________________________________________________________________


Want to know more? Visit these sites!
Seven Surprising Benefits of Maker Spaces
Benefits of Hands-on Learning in a Makerspace
The Idea Behind a School Makerspace


Resources

Kurti, R., Kurti, D., & Fleming, L. (2014, June). The Philosophy of Educational Makerspaces. Retrieved from http://dtl-region-four.ncdpi.wikispaces.net/file/view/The+Philosophy+of+Educational
+Makerspaces.pdf/555395751/The+Philosophy+of+Educational+Makerspaces.pdf

Lou, N., & Peck, K. (2016, February 23). By The Numbers: The Rise of the Makerspace. Retrieved from https://www.popsci.com/rise-makerspace-by-numbers

M. (2017, October 22). Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/

[Pros and Cons] (n.d.) Retrieved from http://www.teachhub.com.teacher-tenure-pros-cons

Slatter, D., & Howard, Z. (2013, November 25). A place to make, hack, and learn: makerspaces in Australian public libraries. Retrieved from https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00049670.
2013.853335\

5 comments:

  1. Kristyn,
    The information that you provided about Makerspace is invaluable. I learn so much each time I read your Blogs. I appreciate that you weren't afraid to point out the disadvantages that come along with Makerspace. I feel like it is imperative as teachers we plan for the issues (disadvantages) so that we are able to find a solution ahead, making for seamless lessons and less confusion on the students part. The academic day often leaves for no extra time, so when would you implement Makerspace into your day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana,

    Thank you for your feedback! As stated in the disadvantage section on this post, you will see that time is definitely a challenge that is faced when beginning the implementation process of a Makerspace. With that being said, I think that the most effective way to do this would be to take it out of the regular classroom and use is as a special/enrichment, just like art, gym, music, etc. With that, I wouldn't specifically be teaching it as a classroom teacher, but would be willing to partake in the process of creating it. Also, there is one day a week during my tentative school schedule for next year where there are an allotted 45 minutes in which Tier 1 students can receive additional supports; this could also be an option when determining a time to use the Makerspace if administration was "on board" with it. Finally, I think that my last resort would be to gradually incorporate it during small groups during their activities that are not teacher-led. This wouldn't be the most ideal situation, but it would give students some exposure to a Makerspace and help them express their imagination in ways that they're not always able to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristyn,

    Thank you for providing a great glimpse into Makerspaces! I enjoyed your advantages/disadvantages format. I agree; the pros outweigh the cons! Do you have any advice for applying for grants or finding other funding options to help purchase those more expensive options?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alicia,

    That is definitely something that I thought about as a way to fund a Makerspace if I was given the opportunity to include one in my classroom. I have heard many amazing things about DonorsChoose as a funding source for resources in the field of education. I absolutely feel as though this could be a place to start when thinking about funding a Makerspace. I'm sure that there are many other options too regarding grants; it would just need to be thoroughly researched.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristyn- I feel like this emerging trend could easily be brought into most schools because of the fact that educators can have the trend an low cost and have it approved by the school or district. With the big push of have STEM in the schools, I think MakerSpaces would be a great initiative to kick things off! I appreciated how you took the time to weigh in on the advantages and disadvantages. This allowed for me to really consider if it would be something I could introduce to my school and have full support from the administration team.

    ReplyDelete